Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Today is Noble's 11th birthday. There were several times I did not think he would make it to 11. Partly because I thought I might strangle him and partly because he is a boy who does not seem to see danger, but then he does not seem to see his dirty clothes on the floor either. He is a good boy. I am proud of him for who he has become. We went skiing yesterday. Noble has taken up snowboarding. He wanted me to teach him instead of going to ski school. I was very surprised that he listened intently to what I told him, then jumped up on the board and snowboarded away. In two days he is already better than I am. Of course, that is not saying much...  It took me three hours just to learn how to stand up on the silly thing.

Yesterday I taught Levi how to ski. He had a melt down in the room before we went out. He was scared that he was going to fall off the mountain. After 20 min of crying and whining, we finally got him all dressed and headed out. He did so good. We went up the big lift multiple times and we are now practicing turning.

Keeley is fourteen. I skied with her for a couple of hours. She looks like a seasoned veteran... A snow bunny even. During one run, I noticed that she was sliding in her turn instead of attacking the hill. This lead to a form breakdown that if she developed this habit then she would struggle on more difficult terrain. I stopped her on the hill and gave her a quick pointer, and a short demonstration.  She listened, said OK and sped off with incredible form.

I love my kids and my wife. They give me so much joy. We have fun together. I enjoy being around them. Every moment is not perfect, all the time, but we are blessed beyond measure -- thank you Lord!

The interesting part to me is the difference between how one feels about their own kids and others kids. Somewhere in the middle of all the screaming and puking and pooping, we develop a bond with this little creature. But we do not have that same bond with other people's children. No matter how much we like the people or the kids, it s not the same. They could be our best friend's daughter or our brother's son. We may see them regularly. We may take them to school or have them sleep over every weekend. Still they are not OUR kid and it is just not the same. Maybe I am the only one who sees it that way, but that is the way I see it.

This makes me a little nervous. How will we feel about an adopted child?  Will we bond in the same way as we struggle with a language barrier, with emotional problems, with separation anxiety?  I don't know the answer, but I can not get that song out of my head that goes like this  "Be still and know you are God". I think my wife wrote about that earlier. Also, a friend called me and told me that he was prayer walking past my house. Praying specifically Jeremiah 29:11-12  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  

So, I will be still, and know that my God is in charge of this and He is in control, knows what is best for us and any child or children that He has prepared for us. 

I cannot imagine my family any better, but God has a plan for us and I trust that He knows and desires what is best for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment